What does every 90s theme party need? A make your own GAK station of course! It is sooooo easy to do and at our 90s theme party at work last week I made this a fun activity for our guests to do! If you for what ever reason don’t remember GAK do yourself a favor and watch the video below it should jog your memory.
- 8 oz bottles of Elmers Glue-All you’ll need one per batch so depends on how many batches you want to make.
- One box of Borax no matter how many batches you make you probably won’t even make a dent in one box, it’s a powdered soap found in the grocery store with all the detergent I found it at Walmart.
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring cup
- Food coloring
- Zipper-lock bag if you want to your guest to be able to take their GAK home with them.
- Latex Gloves if you think this is going to be to messy
This recipe is based on using a brand new 8 oz bottles of Elmers Glue. Empty the entire bottle of glue into the large mixing bowl. Fill the empty bottle with warm water put the lid on and shake. Pour the glue-water mixture into the mixing bowl and use the wooden spoon to mix well.
- Go ahead… add a drop or two of food coloring- if you add to many drops it won’t all soak in and the dye will get all over your hands when you are playing with it… One student that visited my station made this mistake.
Measure 1/2 cup of warm water into the small mixing bowl and add a teaspoon of Borax powder to the water. Stir the solution – don’t worry if all of the powder dissolves. This Borax solution is the secret linking agent that causes the Elmer’s Glue molecules to turn into slime. While stirring the glue in the mixing bowl, add the Borax solution to the glue mixture. Immediately you’ll feel the long strands of molecules starting to connect.
- Once it has gotten pretty gooey it’s time to abandon the spoon and use your hands to do the serious mixing. Keep adding the Borax solution to the glue mixture (don’t stop mixing) until you get a perfect batch of Elmer’s slime. If this
is too messy for you you can wear latex gloves until your GAC solidify’s a bit.
- When you’re finished playing with your Elmer’s slime, seal it up in a zipper-lock bag for safe keeping.