Hello again lovely readers. Part two of my beach theme party food series is focusing on deserts. For this party I made a beach ball cake, beach cup cakes, and a beach dessert which is blue jello and a pudding dessert. Here’s how I did it!
Beach Ball Cake
First thing you need to make a ball shaped cake is a ball shaped pan of course! You can get one of Wilton’s Sport’s Ball Pans in most craft stores or on amazon. Use your favorite cake recipe or regular old store mix and follow the directions inside the pan box for baking. It will also instruct you on cutting the cake so you can put the layers together. For the frosting if you want to pipe it like I did I would suggest making your own it stays so much better than store bought frosting and tastes better too! If you want a good frosting recipe look below:
Beach Ball Cake and Beach Cupcakes
Serving Size: 3 Cups- I would probably make at least 3 batches for your cake and cupcakes.
- 1⁄2cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon wilton clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- With a serrated knife, slice a small piece of cake off rounded side of one half so that, when assembled, cake will sit level.
- Ice smooth or cover this trimmed area with tip 16 white stars. Place this half with trimmed side down on serving plate. Make a dam on top of this half by squeezing out a band of icing about 3/4 in. high around the edge. With spatula, spread icing, jam, pudding or other filling in center.
- Mix your frosting with you desired food colors. Around a half a cup of frosting for each color.
- Position top half to form ball. Lightly ice cake in thinned white icing. Mark Beach Ball pattern with toothpick.
- Use tip 3, frosting bags, and white icing to outline panels of ball. If you’d like to have lines in between your colors
- Use tip 16 and a colored frosting to fill in some panels with stars.
- Continue with each panel until your ball is complete.
- Frosting under the ball is difficult I’m not going to lie!
Beach Cup Cakes
For your cupcakes use another cake mix or your favorite cake recipe and make a batch of cupcakes. For decorating your beach scenes you will need creativity and the following:
What ever you have left over you can use to make beach dessert or put out at a snack table in sand pails and let people take them home as a treat!
Beach Sand and Water Dessert
For this fun dessert I combined this sand pudding recipe and regular blue jello into a 9 x 13 in pan. To do this you first need to make your blue jello packet I used a double batch recipe. Before I poured it into my pan I placed a 9 x 8 in pan inside of my 9 x 13 in pan at one side so that I could create room for my sand. I also made my jello about 3 hrs before I started to make my sand so that it had enough time to set so I could remove the smaller pan and add my sand into the larger pan in it’s place. While the jello was setting I added Swedish Fish to the mix so that they appeared to be swimming. They didn’t hold up incredibly well and I don’t really think they were needed. After the Jello set I removed the smaller pan, cut away any jello around the edges and, I put my sand inside the dish. And decorated with all of my yummy snacks that I used for the cupcakes above. To see how to make the sand please read below.
- 1(15 ounce) package vanilla wafers
- 2 Oreo cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4cup butter
- 2⁄3cup powdered
- 2(3 1/2 ounce) packages French vanilla pudding mix
- 2 3⁄4cups milk
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
- Add Vanilla Wafers and 2 Oreos to your food processor and crush until they resemble sand.
- In a smaller bowl, cream together softened 8 ounce cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar.
- In another larger bowl, mix pudding with milk.
- Add pudding mixture to the cream cheese mixture.
- Fold in all of the Cool Whip.
- Layer into your pan or into a sand pail in this order: sand, pudding, sand, pudding, etc.
- Allow to chill in fridge at least 1 hour before serving.
For my son’s first birthday party I knew I needed some more substantial snack foods since our party was during the pre dinner part of the evening I made a few quick options that would be fine if they were left out and served cold. With so much to do in one day to prepare for a party of 40 people I needed to have some quick and easy foods to deal with that the little ones might also like to eat. Here’s what I came up with!
These were so delicious my husband asked me if I could make them all of the time. They were pretty easy to make too but kinda messy…
PREP TIME: 15 Min
TOTAL TIME: 35 Min
- 1 (13.8-ounce) tube of refrigerated pizza dough
- Shredded or sliced Mozzarella
- 2 ounces sliced pepperoni (if you want to make them with pepperoni I made a cheese and a pepperoni version)
- Pizza Sauce
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 12-cup muffin pan; set aside.
- Pat out dough on lightly floured surface into 15×9-inch rectangle. Place or spread cheese in two rows on long edge of rectangle, leaving 1/2-inch border; top with pepperoni if so desired. You can also add pizza sauce before rolling or you can decide to only use it for dipping (I added it and it was delicious but don’t use to much or it makes it hard to cut and bake) Roll up dough, starting from cheese edge, into 15-inch log.
- Slice log into 12 equal pieces. Place each piece into muffin cup. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven; run knife around edges of each muffin cup to loosen. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove to cooling rack.
- Serve hot or cold with pizza sauce or marinara, if desired. Store refrigerated.
Beach Salad is actually just a simple Caprese Salad some sea shell pasta and “beach balls” tomatoes and mozzarella balls. This is another delicious treat and so so easy! To make it easier for myself on a day where I had a lot going on I purchased some basil pesto and used that instead of making it myself. A busy mom’s got to do what a busy mom’s got to do!
Beach Capreese Salad
PREP TIME: 20 Min
- 8 oz pasta (I used shell pasta to make it a beach salad)
- 1 cup (8 oz) small fresh mozzarella balls
- 2 cups (10.5 oz) grape tomatoes
- Basil Pesto- purchase a jar or also gather the following ingredients
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook and drain your pasta according to package directions. Drain with cold water and set aside.
- If you are making your own Basil Pesto: in a food processor, combine basil, garlic, parmesan, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Pulse until everything is coarsely chopped and blended together.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine pasta, basil pesto, grape tomatoes, and mozzarella balls. Toss together until it is coated in the basil pesto. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
SWIMMERS IN TOWELS
A classic pig in a blanket toped off my snacks I served so easy a child could do it! Well not my child he’d only just turned 1!
Swimmers in Towels
PREP TIME: 15 Min
TOAL TIME: 30 Min
- 2 cans (8 oz each) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 48 cocktail-size smoked link sausages or hot dogs (from two 14-oz packages)
Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll both cans of the dough; separate into 16 triangles. Cut each triangle lengthwise into 3 narrow triangles.
Place sausage or cut up hot dogs on shortest side of each triangle. Roll up each, starting at shortest side of triangle and rolling to opposite point; place point side down on 2 ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, switching position of cookie sheets halfway through baking. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.
For my little one’s party I went over the top with my theming. Beach cake, cupcakes, dessert, snacks, and beach themed food all over. Decorated pails for each child, beach themed signs all around and more! I chose this theme because a. my little one was born in August and it’s hot enough to have a baby pool outside and b. because the baby shower I was thrown was ahoy it’s a boy themed and I have lots of the decorations from that still laying around so why not reuse and recycle!
I will go into the food in more detail in later posts but here is a sneak peak at some of the yummy goodies. Click the food item you’d like to learn more about. We served: Pizza Snails, Beach Salad, Seaweed Dip, Beach themed Snacks, Swimmers in Towels (pigs in blankets), Beach Dessert, Beach Ball Cake and Beach Scene Cupcakes.
Beach Ball Cake and Beach Cupcakes
There were a few items I made myself for this event some of which I sell in my Etsy shop. I will talk more about a number of these in future posts as well. On top of all of these we also hung up my little ones monthly photo’s in two locations one inside and one outside.
The Birthday Sign
Beach Theme Food Labels
Beach Theme Personalized Water Bottle Labels
First Birthday Banner
Since it’s a beach birthday theme we had to have lot of fun activities for little ones to do in our front lawn. This included a water table, a kiddie pool, a ball pit, two tents, and a fun little car they can ride on! Lots for little ones to enjoy!
Stay tuned for more information on how to achieve this beach theme birthday look!
Here is a sneak peek of my son’s Beach Theme First Birthday Party. Stay tuned in the upcoming weeks for some posts on achieving this look yourself!
I’m a big fan of using water bottle labels. I think they add a special little touch to a normal party item. They are simple and cheap to have made and so much fun! You can have them made, printed and sent to you or you download them and print them yourself. You can have generic ones or customized ones.
I have had water bottle labels at both my bachelorette and my baby shower. This shows what a fan I am! I also just designed some that I will be having at my son’s first birthday party! If you are looking for water bottle labels head over to Etsy! Even if you’re not having me design them for you chose from one of the other million mom and pop shops out there, there are a million designs to chose from for every occasion and you’re probably helping out a starving college student or a stay at home mom! There are a lot of great designs out there to chose from!